Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I know, not a food blog, but these are DELICIOUS so I thought I'd share with you guys.  Enjoy!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup shortening (you can substitute butter if you'd like)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (I use pecans 'cause it's Texas)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pans with liners (recipe makes about 18 muffins)
  • In a large bowl, cream together the shortening/butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Stir in the egg, beating well.  Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla, and bananas.
  • In a separate bowl combine flour, sale, baking powder, and baking soda.
  • Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture, stirring just enough to evenly combine.  Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts/pecans.
  • Bake at 350 until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.  It's about 23 minutes in my oven.
Tips:
  • You can also make a loaf bread from this recipe, just pour mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake for approximately 50-75 minutes.
  • Obviously, nuts are optional.  That's why I make muffins instead of a loaf.  My son hates nuts so I make half the muffins with nuts and half without.
  • I'm pretty loosey-goosey with this recipe and haven't managed to mess it up yet.  I'd say this is suitable for novice bakers, just keep an eye out on your oven so you don't overbake.  Don't rely on my baking times as the gospel!  :)
Happy Snacking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment